Responsible for collecting, analyzing facts and writing about newsworthy events by interview, investigation, research or observation on assigned PetfoodIndustry.com and WATTAgNet.com products. Reports and writes stories to meet organizational goals and objectives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Reports on, writes, edits and publishes online news for PetfoodIndustry.com and WATTAgNet.com, including posting content from the news inboxes within 48 hours of receipt
- Writes, edits and produces pet and pig newsletters
- Works with the Digital Content Director to assess the news strategy and ensure it meets the required results
- Review copy and correct errors in content, grammar and punctuation, following prescribed editorial style and formatting guidelines.
- Review and evaluate notes taken about topic aspects to isolate pertinent facts and details
- Determine a story’s emphasis, length and format, and organize material accordingly
- Research and analyze background information related to stories in order to be able to provide complete and accurate information
- Gather information about events through research, interviews, experience, or attendance at seminars, trade shows or other functions
- Investigate breaking news developments, such as disasters, disease or food-safety recalls
- Receive assignments or evaluate leads or tips to develop story ideas
- Proofs Pig International
- Writes stories as assigned by ag editors
- Works on special projects and on cross-functional teams as assigned
- Works with external consultants as assigned
- Attends conventions, expositions, press events and visits manufacturers to gather newsworthy information and represent WATT as assigned.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or equivalent plus five years of experience in a similar position.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Experience working as a reporter in a real-time news environment
- Proficiency in collaborative technology, such as Trello, network drives, Skype, GotoMeeting
- Proficiency in social media tools, such as Facebook, Twitter
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Knowledge of basic SEO language
- Knowledge of content management system, such as ePublishing
- Background in agribusiness preferred
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office is located above ground level and requires access by stairs or elevator.
- Must operate office equipment, machines, and computer.
- May walk, bend, stoop, lift and carry up to 15lbs.
- May stand for long periods of time, up to 8 hours, if participating in trade shows.
- Work requires close vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Works in an office environment
- Works individually and in a team environment to accomplish goals and responsibilities
- May travel up to 10% of time
- Works in a Results-Only Work Environment (ROWE)
Results-Only Work Environment is a management strategy where employees are evaluated on performance, not presence. In a ROWE, people focus on results and only results — increasing performance while creating the right climate for people to manage all the demands in their lives. To learn more about ROWE, visit www.gorowe.com
- Internal – Works with all departments across the company.
- External – Readers, news sources, existing and new advertisers and custom clients.
Budget Responsibility: None